Kol Shalom Happy Hour: Jews and Classical Music
July 22, 2020, 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Add to iCal | Add to Google Calendar
Join host Alan Elsner as we explore the rich connections between Jews and Classical music. We will explore issues like
- Is there such a thing as Jewish music?
- How should we regard composers like Mendelssohn or Mahler who were converts or the children of converts?
- Should we agitate to ban Wagner? Is this our equivalent of pulling down Confederate statues?
- How do we feel about specifically Christian music by great composers — Bach’s B. Minor Mass, Verdi’s Requiem, Handel’s Messiah?
- What do we think about the music we sing in our services?